|56. A Singh*. Materials modulate immunity and gut microbiome. Nature Materials 19 (1), 3-4.
55. K Wellmerling, C Lehman, A Singh, B Kirby. Microfluidic Chip for Label-Free Removal of Teratoma-forming Cells from Therapeutic Human Stem Cells. In Review (see bioRxiv, 830588)
54. P Balasubhramaniyam, A Singh, C Xu, A Lal. GHz Ultrasonic Chip-Scale Device Induces Ion Channel Stimulation in Human Neural Cells. In Revision.
53. S Kim, S Shah, P Graney, A Singh*. Multiscale engineering of immune cells and lymphoid organs. Nature Reviews Materials, 2019
52. M Mosquera, S Kim, H Zhou, T Jing, M Luna, J Guss, P Reddy, K Lai, C Leifer, I Brito, C Hernandez, A Singh*. Immunomodulatory nanogels overcome restricted immunity in a murine model of gut microbiome–mediated metabolic syndrome. Science Advances, 5 (3), eaav9788
Cornell Chronicle: Nanovaccine boosts immunity in sufferers of metabolic syndrome
50. A Singh*. Editor’s Choice: T cells, the last samurai against humoral rejection in lung transplants. Science Translational Medicine. 2019, 11 (475), eaaw5313
49. T Oeschger, D McCloskey, V Kopparthy, A Singh, D Erickson*. Point of care technologies for sepsis diagnosis and treatment. Lab on a Chip 2019,19, 728-737.
48. A Purwada, S Shah, W Beguelin, A August, A Melnick, A Singh*. Ex vivo synthetic immune tissues with T cell signals for differentiating antigen-specific, high-affinity germinal center B cells. Biomaterials. 2019;198:27-36.
47. F Apoorva, A Loiben, S Shah, A Purwada, L Fontan, B Kirby, A Melnick, B Cosgrove, A Singh*. How Biophysical Forces Regulate Human B Cell Lymphomas. Cell Reports. 2018, 23, 499-511.
Cornell Chronicle: Immune-engineered device targets chemo-resistant lymphoma
46. A Singh*. Editor’s Choice: Send in the decoys: Cell-like particles ameliorate inflammatory autoimmune arthritis. Science Translational Medicine. 2018, 10 (459), eaav0341
45. A Singh*. Editor’s Choice: Convection-enhanced delivery of drugs for deadliest pediatric brain tumors. Science Translational Medicine. 2018, 10 (451), eaau7382
44. P Desai, R Schneider, M Jaiswal, A Purwada, A Singh * and A Gaharwar*. Self-assembled, Ellipsoidal Polymeric Nanoparticles for Intracellular Delivery of Therapeutics. J Biomedical Material Research- A. 2018, 106(7), 2048-2058. *Co-Senior Authors
43. A Singh*. Editor’s Choice: Charting the course of metastatic cells. Science Translational Medicine. 2018, 10 (467), eaav9142
42. A Singh*, I Brito, J Lammerding. Beyond Tissue Stiffness and Bioadhesivity: Advanced Biomaterials to Model Tumor Microenvironments and Drug Resistance. Cell: Trends in Cancer. 2018, 4(4), 281-91.
41. A Singh*. Editor’s Choice: Bactericide hydrogel prevents orthopedic implant infections. Science Translational Medicine. 2018, 10 (443), eaau0463
40. A Singh*. Editor’s Choice: Targeting a conserved epitope: A new chink in malaria’s armor. Science Translational Medicine. 2018, 10 (435), eaat3890
39. A Singh*. Editor’s Choice: No one is naïve: Young infant’s immunity can dodge Darwinian selection. Science Translational Medicine. 2018, 10 (427), eaar7530
38. W Beguelin, M Rivas, M Fernandez, M Teater, A Purwada, D Redmond, H Shen, M Challman, O Elemento, A Singh* & A Melnick*. EZH2 enables germinal center formation through epigenetic silencing of CDKN1A & an Rb-E2F1 feedback loop. Nature Communications. 2017, 8(1), 877. *Co-Senior Authors
Cornell Chronicle: Group uses organoid to explain immune cells’ rapid response
Nature Cell Biology (2018): Organoid Research Collection
37. R Stephenson, A Singh*. Drug Discovery and Therapeutic Delivery for the Treatment of B and T cell Tumors. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 2017, 114:285-300.
36. J Guss, M Horsfield, F Fontenele, T Sandoval, M Luna, F Apoorva, S Lima, R Bicalho, A Singh, R Ley, M van der Meulen, S Goldring, C Hernandez. Alterations to the Gut Microbiome Impair Bone Strength and Tissue Material Properties. J Bone Miner Res. 2017, 32(6):1343-1353.
35. F Apoorva, T Pierpont, D Bassen, L Cerchietti, J Butcher, R Weiss, A Singh*. Lymph node stiffness-mimicking hydrogels regulate human B-cell lymphoma growth and cell surface receptor expression in a molecular subtype-specific manner. J Biomedical Material Research- A#. 2017, 105(7):1833-1844.
#2017 Young Investigator Award – Society for Biomaterials
34. S Shah, A Singh*. Creating artificial lymphoid tissues to study immunity and hematological malignancies. Current Opinion in Hematology. 2017, 24(4):377-383.
33. A Singh*. Biomaterials innovation for next generation ex vivo immune tissue engineering. Biomaterials, 2017, 130:104-110.
32. A Purwada, S Shah, W Beguelin, A Melnick, A Singh*. Modular Immune Organoids with Integrin Ligand Specificity Differentially Regulate Ex vivo B Cell Activation. ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering. 2017, 3 (2), 214–225.
Cell Press’ Molecular Therapy: Tailored Organoid May Help Unravel Immune Response Mystery (Volume 25, Issue 2, p305–306, 1 February 2017)
31. A Purwada, A Singh*. Immuno-engineered Organoids for Regulating the Kinetics of B cell Development and Antibody Production. Nature Protocols, 2017, 12, 168-182.
National Science Foundation: News From the Field – Tailored organoid may help unravel immune response mystery
Contagion: Engineers Tackle Growing Threat of Infectious Diseases – by Brian Dunleavy
30. S Shah, A Singh*. Cellular Self-assembly and Biomaterials-based Organoid Models of Development and Diseases. Acta Biomaterialia. 2017, 53:29-45.
29. A Singh*, K Roy*. Immuno-engineering: The Next Frontier in Therapeutics Delivery. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 2017. 114, 1-2
28. A Purwada, Y F Tian, W Huang, S Deol, A August, A Singh*. Self-assembly Protein Nanogels for Safer Cancer immunotherapy. Advanced Healthcare Materials. 2016, 5(12), 1413-1419.
27. P. Madasamy, G. Lokhande, A Singh, A. K. Gaharwar. Engineered Nanomaterials for Infection Control and Healing Acute and Chronic Wounds. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces. 2016, 8 (16), 10049–10069.
26. D Holyoke, Y Tian, M van der Meulen CH, A Singh*. Osteoarthritis: Pathology, Mouse Models, and Nanoparticle Injectable Systems for Targeted Treatment. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2016, 44(6), 2062–2075.
25. Y Tian, H Ahn, R Schneider, S Yang, L Roman-Gonzalez, A M Melnick, L Cerchietti, A Singh*. Integrin Presenting Hydrogels as Adaptable Tumor Organoids for Malignant B and T cells. Biomaterials 2015, 73:110-119.
ASME: “Fighting Lymphoma in Three Dimensions”, by Eric Butterman
Cornell Chronicle: “3D Organoids allow tests of lymphoma treatment”
Lymphoma News Today: “3-D Organoid for non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Expected to Greatly Aid in New Treatments”, by Bruno Castro
24. A Purwada, M Jaiswal, H Ahn, T Nojima, D Kitamura, A Gaharwar, L Cerchietti, A Singh*. Ex vivo Engineered Immune Organoids for Controlled Germinal Center Reactions. Biomaterials, 2015, 63, 24-34.
2015 Biomaterials Outstanding Paper Award by Elsevier
Discover Magazine: 100 Top Stories of 2015 (#63) (Published in Jan/Feb 2016 issue)
The Scientist Magazine: Orchestrating Organoids: B cell Balls
Futurity: “‘organoid’ makes antibodies without a body“
Cornell Chronicle: “Engineers’ synthetic immune organ produces antibodies“
23. F Cayrol, M.C. Diaz Flaque, T. Fernando, S.N. Yang, H.A. Sterle, M. Bolontrade, M. Amoros, B. Isse, R.N. Farias, H Ahn, H., Y.F. Tian, F. Tabbo, A Singh, G Inghirami, L Cerchietti, G.A. Cremaschi. Integrin alphavbeta3 acting as membrane receptor for thyroid hormones mediates angiogenesis in malignant T cells. Blood. 2015, 125, 841-851.
22. CW Peak, JK Carrow, A Thakur, A Singh, AK Gaharwar. Elastomeric Cell-Laden Nanocomposite Microfibers for Engineering Complex Tissues. Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering. 2015, 8(3), 404-415.
21. A Singh*, N Peppas. Hydrogels and scaffolds for immunomodulation. Advanced Materials. 2014, 26(38):6530-41.
20. R Patel, A Purwada, L Cerchietti, G Inghirami, A Melnick, A Gaharwar, A Singh*. Microscale bio-adhesive hydrogel arrays for cell engineering. Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering. 2014, 7(3):394-408.
Selected 2014 Young Innovator in Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering
19. A Purwada, K Roy, A Singh*. Engineering Vaccines and Niches for immune Modulation. Acta Biomaterialia. 2014, 10(4):1728-40.
18. R G. Patel, A Singh*. Miniature Medicine: Nanomaterials for therapeutic delivery and cell engineering applications. IEEE Pulse March/April 2014, 10.1109/MPUL.2013.2296801 (Invited Feature Article)
17. N Joshi, N Shirsath, A Singh, K Joshi, R Banerjee. Endogenous lung surfactant inspired pH responsive nanovesicle aerosols for inhibition of pulmonary metastases. Scientific Reports. 2014, 4, Article #7085.
16. T T Lee, J Garcia, J Paez, A Singh, E A Phelps, Z Shafiq, A Shekharan, A del Campo, A J Garcia (2015). Light-triggered in vivo Activation of Adhesive Peptides Regulates Cell Adhesion, Inflammation and Vascularization of Biomaterials. Nature Materials. 2015, 14, 352-60, 2015
15. A Singh, R Agarwal, C Diaz, N J. Willett, P Wang, L. A Lee, Q Wang, R E. Guldberg, A J. García. Nano-engineered particles for enhanced intra-articular retention and delivery of proteins. Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2014, 3(10):1562-7, 1525.
Selected as Journal “Frontispiece Cover Image”
14. J. G. Garcia., A Singh, A. J. Garcia. High fidelity nanopatterning of proteins onto well-defined surfaces through subtractive contact printing. Methods in Cell Biology. 2014, 119:277-92.
13. J L Wilson, S Suri, A Singh, C A Rivet, H Lu, T C McDevitt. Single-cell analysis of embryoid body heterogeneity using microfluidic trapping array. Biomedical Microdevices. 2014, 16(1):79-90.
12. A Singh, S Suri, T Lee, J M Chilton, W Chen, J Fu, S L Stice, H Lu, T C McDevitt, A J Garcia. Adhesive signature-based, label free isolation of human pluripotent stem cells. Nature Methods. 2013, 10:438-444.
Nature Materials: News and Views – Abilez, O.J. & Wu, J.C. Stem cell isolation: Differential stickiness. Nature Materials 12, 474-476 (2013).
NIH Director: Work featured in Dr. Francis Collins’ blog (May 2013) –
Physics Today: “Separating Stem Cells by Shear Forces” Phys. Today 66(5), 68 (2013) –Magazine’s back scatter cover.
National Science foundation (NSF): News from the field – Adhesive Differences Enable Separation of Stem Cells to Advance Potential Therapies (April 7, 2013)
National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) – Note from Paula Flicker (Program Director – Division of Cell Biology and Biophysics).
Top story in ESC & iPSC News 8.14, April 10, 2013. Featured in >20 science/news organizations.
Inside Life Science (NIGMS) – Sticky Stem Cells – Joseph Piergrossi, May 30, 2013
11. D W Dumbauld, T T Lee, A Singh, J Scrimgeour, C A Gersbach, E A Zamir, J Fu, C S Chen, J E Curtis, S Craig, A J Garcia. How vinculin regulates force transmission. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2013, 110 (24) 9788-9793
10. S Suri, A Singh, A Ngyuen, T C McDevitt, H Lu. Microfluidic-based patterning of embryonic stem cells for in vitro development studies. Lab on a Chip. 2013, 13(23):4617-24.
9. A M Bratt-Leal, A H Nguyen, K A Hammersmith, A Singh, T C McDevitt. Morphogen Delivery within Pluripotent Stem Cell Aggregates via Incorporated Microparticles. Biomaterials. 2013, 34(30):7227-35.
8. S Coyer*, A Singh* (* equal author contribution), D W. Dumbauld, D A. Calderwood, S W. Craig, E Delmarche, A J Garcia. Nanopatterning reveals an ECM area threshold for focal adhesion assembly and force transmission that is regulated by integrin activation and cytoskeleton tension. Journal of Cell Science. 2012, 125:5110-5123.
Selected as Journal “Cover Image”;
Featured Highlight: http://jcs.biologists.org/content/125/21/e2103.full
7. R Whitmire, D. S Wilson, A Singh, M Levenston, N Murthy, A García. Self-assembling nanoparticles for intra-articular delivery of anti-inflammatory proteins. Biomaterials. 2012, 33(30):7665-75.
6. A Singh, H Qin, I Fernandez, J Wei, L Jian, L W Kwak, K Roy. An injectable synthetic immune-priming center mediates efficient T-cell class switching and T-helper 1 response against B cell lymphoma. Journal of Controlled Release. 2011, 55(2): 184-192.
Selected as Journal “Cover Image”
5. S Suri, L Han, A Singh, S Chen, C Schmidt. Solid Freeform Fabrication of Designer Scaffolds of Hyaluronic Acid for Neural Tissue Engineering. Biomedical Microdevices. 2011, 13(6):983-93.
4. B Ghosn, A Singh, M Li, A V.Vlassov, N Puri, K Roy. Efficient gene silencing in lungs and liver using imidazole-modified chitosan as a nanocarrier for siRNA. Oligonucleotides. 2010, 20(3): 163-172.
3. A Singh, S Suri, K Roy. In-situ crosslinking hydrogels for combinatorial delivery of chemokines and siRNA-DNA carrying microparticles to dendritic cells. Biomaterials. 2009, 30(28), 5187-00.
2. A Singh, H Nie, B Ghosn, K Roy. SiRNA for Therapeutic Immuno-modulation: Simultaneous Delivery of Cytokine-targeted SiRNA and DNA Antigens to Dendritic Cells. NSTI Nanotech. 2008;2(4):350-35
1. A Singh, H Nie, B Ghosn, H Qin, LW Kwak, K Roy. Efficient modulation of T cell response by dual-mode, single carrier delivery of cytokine-targeted siRNA and DNA vaccine to antigen presenting cells. Molecular Therapy. 2008, 16 (12), 2011–2021
Journal Theme Editor/Book Editor
Independent Career as Faculty Member
1. A Singh, N Annabi, M Nikkhah (2018). Organoids and Organ on Chip. Biomaterials. 2018 (In Progress)
2. A Singh, K Roy (2017). Immuno-Engineering. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 2017
3. A Singh, A Gaharwar (2015). Microscale Technologies for Cell Engineering. Springer, 2015
Independent Career as Faculty Member
1. S Shroff, F Apoorva and A Singh*. Engineering Niches for Stem and Progenitor Cell Differentiation Into Immune Cells. Jeff Karp and Ajay Vishwakarma (ed.), Elsevier, In Press, 2017
2. F Apoorva and A Singh*. Biomaterial-Based Modulation of Cancer. Biomaterials in Regenerative Medicine and the Immune System. Laura Santambrogio (ed.), Springer, 2015, pages 171-192.
3. CW Peak, L Cross, A Singh, A Gaharwar. Microscale Technologies for Engineering Complex Tissues Microscale Technologies for Cell Engineering. Springer, 2015, pages 3-25.
1. A Singh, P. Pradhan, and K. Roy (2013). Immunoengineering approaches towards combinatorial delivery of immune-modulators and antigens. Novel Immune Potentiators and next generation vaccines, Manmohan Singh (ed.), 2013, pages 161-181. Springer.
2. A Singh, K. Roy (2010). Synthetic niches for Stem Cell differentiation into T cells. Studies in Mechanobiology, Tissue engineering and Biomaterials (SMTEB), Vol.2, Krishnendu Roy (ed.) 2010, pages 225-245. Springer.
3. S Suri, A Singh, CE Schmidt (2009). Photofunctionalization of Materials to Promote Protein and Cell Interactions for Tissue-Engineering Applications. Biological Interactions on Materials Surfaces, Bizios-Pauleo (eds.) 2009, pages 225-245. Springer.Tissue Structures.
Independent Career as Faculty Member
Medtown Ventures, LLC formed a new company, CellectCell Inc., to focus on commercialization of adhesive-signature based cell selection technology (µSHEAR)